Bagora is a picturesque hamlet near Kurseong town in Darjeeling district of West Bengal. Situated at a height of 7150 ft above the sea level and can be visited anytime during the year. Bagora is a place of utter tranquility tuckedaway from the madness of the town. The road approaching Bagora is itself wonderful with the canopy of huge pines and conifers that even the sunlight finds hard to peep in. Bagora is a small village of few families and a small market with hardly a couple of shops. Bagora is a place where you can simply relax and rejuvenate. The mountains are there for your eyes only and the carpet of green grass is to soothe your souls. Here no one is in a hurry and you too can enjoy this slow pace. You can simply walk down the village and explore the place in your own ways.
Experiences at Bagora:
- Take a village walk along the scenic landscapes and experience the life at Bagora. Enjoy the nature and hear the chirping birds. Bagora is a haven for the bird watchers.
- Bagora is called the “zero-point”. There is an Air Force Base camp 1.5 km from the village. Simply walk towards the Base camp. There is a view point near the Air Force camp. The view from there is simply spectacular. The valley below glistens with all its splendour and the Teesta meanders through it. The mountain ranges all look so formidable but graceful. On a clear day, you can even see the Kanchenjunga ranges.
- You can also walk down the shadowy forest path to Tiger Hill and watch the spectacular sunrise.
- There are several trek routes in Bagora. These trek routes will take you to Chimney (4 km), Latpanchar (19 km), Mongpu (12 km) or Chatakpur (8 km). The trek routes are not well marked and you will need a local guide to venture into these roads.
- If you are planning for more than a weekend in Bagora, enjoy a three-day forest trek from Kurseong to Kalijhora via Bagora, Namthing Pokhri and Latpanchor.
- Visit the Kali temple a few minutes away from the bazar. Carefully tucked beside the road, this serene place is in the midst of the jungle.
- Enjoy nature at her peaceful best. Stay at the homestay and experience the hospitality of the villagers and unwind yourself. Take some wonderful snaps of the virgin surroundings and create a memory of a lifetime.
Places to roam around:
- Chimney: Chimney is a small hamlet nearby 4 kms away. Chimney is also a very idyllic destination. The place is so called as a huge chimney was built there during the British time and it still exists there.
- Latpanchar: Latpanchor is another village known for bird watching. It is about19 km from Bagora.
- Chatakpur: Chatakpur is also a bird lovers’ paradise and boasts of one of the best views of Kanchenjunga ranges. It is only 8 km from Bagora.
- Dilaram: merely 2 km from Bagora, Dilaram is also an upcoming eco-tourism destination.
Best time to visit:
You can visit Bagora any time of the year. Winters are usually quite chilly.
How to reach:
From Kurseong, take the Hill Cart Road to Dilaram. From Dilaram, there is an uphill road to Bagora.