Zoom is an offbeat and unexplored village destination towards west Sikkim. Just as you cross Jorethang and move uphill, the first village that comes is Zoom. It is only a 20 minutes drive from Jorethang. The place is extremely beautiful with cultivation farms all around.
There is only one homestay here as of now. You will get a panoramic view of the mountain ranges from the village. The Himalayas will seem to beckon you from a distance. Also, view of the sunrise from the village is simply breathtaking.
If you are longing for a weekend amidst the mountains with a view of the soothing Kanchenjunga simply away from the crowd, Zoom is just the place to visit. You will be refreshed and rejuvenated in this picturesque hamlet where nature has gifted in a bounty.
Experiences at Zoom:
- Explore the real rural life of the Sikkimese people here.
- Take a walk along the village and visit the organic farms of rye, mustard and other vegetables.
- View the magnificent sunrise just from your room. See the sun rising over the mountain peaks as it colours the sky golden yellow.
- If you are lucky, then you might see the rare animal species pika (Scientific name –Ochotona sikkimaria). It is a hybrid of rabbit and rat.
- Take a walk along the forests and you will be mesmerized to see the mountain springs.
- You can visit Sribadam from here. Sribadam is also a very beautiful offbeat weekend destination.
- You can also visit the well-known places of West Sikkim like Kaluk, Pelling, Pemyangtse and Uttarey.
Best Time to visit Zoom:
You can visit the place at any time of the year.But monsoons should be avoided as the roads in Sikkim gets prone to landslides during the monsoons.
Spring is the best time to visit if you want to see the rhododendrons blooming. And if you want to see the orange orchards, then visit during the winter months.
How to reach Zoom:
The nearest Railhead is New Jalpaiguri and the nearest airport is Bagdogra.
The distance from Siliguri is about 90 km and takes about 4 hours to reach the place. The route goes through Teesta Bazar and Jorethang. You can take a shared vehicle to Jorethang. From Jorethang (6 km away), you can take a reserve car. Alternatively, you can take any shared car towards Hee, Kaluk or Rinchenpong and get down at Zoom.
From Gangtok, the distance is about 88 km.